Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pedro Noguera


I saw Pedro Noguera, from NYU, speak today to a group of educators. He is an inspirational speaker that really gets his audience to reflect on schools, families, and themselves as practitioners.

He is the author of several 'must read' books. Last year, when I heard him speak for the first time, I immediately wanted to be prepared. So I read City Schools and The American Dream and The Trouble With Black Boys: And Other Reflections on Race, Equity, and the Future of Public Education. I also caught up with him on NPR to hear him talk about Public Schools in large urban cities.

Other great interviews with Pedro.
NPR
NPR


Sometimes I get inspired to read after attending a reading/lecture- sometimes I like to be well prepared before one. It's my inner nerd!

Pedro brought with him this time a film that looks at a School in Atlanta- and the change that it went through. Since his background is Sociology, Pedro's approach is always- what can we do to change the environment- to reach the kids. Instead of the approach- kids can't, families can't.

If you get a chance- try and see him in person. In the meantime- read up! Think about the things in our environment- your community- that can help bring about change! Get your own inner nerd on!

No comments:

Post a Comment