Friday, March 5, 2010

What Gets Your Reading Bug On?

My friend Lori is a voracious reader. Literally, I think sometimes she eats books. She said that she is a big fan of the blog and I invited her as a guest blogger to talk about about her current reading life and what she is reading etc. Enjoy the post. Enjoy the read.

Guest Blogger: Lori- The Rocky Mountain Mama.

You would think I read for a living. You would think that someone or many someones pay me by the word to read. After I confide in you my combination of ADD/ADHD habits and interests in reading you may think many more things about me. Let’s find out.

Firstly I have always had this relationship with reading. At first it was Babar The Elephant, Dr. Seuss and cereal boxes. Once the reading bug bit I never stopped. Magazine ads, newspapers like The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal all got equal time. At one point, my parents had weekly articles to discuss during one dinner so I wouldn’t take up all of their time asking questions during all the other dinners. And yes, I did have friend

s. And they read too. Imagine what happened during those adolescent years when we all got together and read serial romances, Judy Blume books and really trashy mass market fiction. (I still have a very soft spot for anything Sidney Sheldon.)

Oh the misinformation we gathered still makes me blush.

I digress slightly from the blog’s emphasis on current reading and current interests. A little backstory helps to interpret current habits. In order to prevent an embarrassing over-sharing moment, I will spare you the details of further experiences. Suffice it to say, I have and always will be a reader of varying and vast tastes.

Currently, I am reading books with Jewish content, for a Synagogue book group, various blogs and on line magazines, cookbooks and a sprinkling of random additions free of categorization. Here’s a sample of my daily reading:

Book Club selection:

Four Girls from Berlin by Maryanne Meyerhoff (just beginning)

Jane Austen in Boca by Paula Marantz Cohen (just finished)

As a Driven Leaf by Milton Steinberg and People of the Book by Geradline Brooks (two favorites)

Various online reads:

Slate

The Daily Beast

Jewcy

Guernica

Smitten Kitchen

go fug yourself

people magazine

feministing

Cookbooks:

How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

How To Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

Moro by Sam and Sam Clark

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz et.al

A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Feast by Nigella Lawson

America’s Test Kitchen The Family Baking Book by America’s Test Kitchen


Here is what is on my list to get to soon:

Pops by Terry Teachout

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

Rashi’s Daughter Book 1 by Maggie Anton

Nurture Shock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman

Chihuly in the Hotshop by Dale Chihuly

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

And, anything my friends send and/or recommend.

If you think this is where I inform you of my opinions and recommendations of the previous material you may be disappointed. A large part of my habits come from the joy and satisfaction of finding my own way through all things print and now online. I find an idea, an interest or a question and follow it through to as many sources possible. I discover either more ways to read and explore about the initial idea or I stop and move to the next. That is what feeds my reading bug. If you want more opinion and less road map, invite me to coffee.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also a huge cookbook fan! Right now - America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

    I also have a thing for books about dogs, or with dogs as characters. I know... kinda lame.

    Also, anything funny. I mean anything.

    ReplyDelete